Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Eggtastic Year

On my one-year blogversary, I meant to write the things I learned along the way. But as you recall, I spent those days fighting off something I’d never wish upon anyone. I had recipes lined up for that week, most of which I couldn’t even muster the energy to write them down (let alone make it). But today is the last day of taking the antibiotic, and hopefully I’ll be back on my fitness regimen and social calendar by Monday. 


For now, I’d like to share some of what I’ve learned these last twelve months. For instance:
  • I learned that measuring ingredients by weight makes recipes easier to follow and more precise.
  • I learned that there is a huge difference between healthy food and eating healthily.
  • I learned that taking things too seriously is not the same as seeing them as they are.
  • I learned to accept the mistakes I’ve made, both in and out of the kitchen, and that the best way to move on is to let it go.
  • I learned that life is one huge experiment that has more than one equation and more than one answer.
  • I learned to work around my “weaknesses” instead of denying ever having them at all, making me a stronger person as a result.
  • I learned that comparing myself to others is a disservice to both parties involved.
  • I learned that my dreams are enormous… and so are my plans to seeing them through.
  • I learned that food is a philosophy in of itself and that making a recipe is as rewarding as writing poetry. 
  • I learned that grain-free flours are my favorite to use and how applesauce makes a great sugar substitute.
  • I learned that progress is still progress, no matter how small you think it is, and that I’ll get to where I want to be soon enough.

As for what I hope to learn, I plan:
  • To enhance my cooking technique and plating skills
  • To really understand how digital photography and editing works
  • To become a better writer
  • To write many restaurant, book, and product reviews
  • To go on food-related adventures (i.e., farmers markets, food/health/environment festivals, conventions, etc.)
  • To understand as much as I can about hypothyroidism, how it relates to my health (eating and fitness included), and how it can help others find healing
  • To accept that I am human, that I do make mistakes, and that I don’t have to be perfect
  • To make delicious confections, desserts, and finger foods that holds to the Meals With Morri motto
  • To focus on being happy and healthy and not on how much I weigh
  • To be relaxed and able to handle whatever stress comes my way
  • To continue avidly rock climbing and running, and to also balance my activity with meditation, yoga, and the right food intake

And I invite you all learn along with me.

This recipe is one I’m particularly proud of, because it has everything you like about egg foo young without all the stuff you don't like. Back in my BGF days, we used to order Chinese takeout often. We consumed vast amounts of fried chicken wings, fried rice, fried egg rolls, and we would switch egg drop soup for hot and sour when the mood struck us. But once in a while we ordered the egg foo young, an eggy mass completely submerged in gravy of indiscernible origins. It was a way of feeding me vegetables without my catching wise, but I have a feeling it wasn’t the healthiest option on the menu.

Initially I was going to make separate the mixture into individual servings, cooked one at a time for every plate. My biggest concern, though, was that one person may not get an equal amount of the veggie goodness in their omelet. So I did the next best thing: I turned it into a frittata.

It had to be done.

This recipe doesn’t include gravy, simply because I felt it didn’t need it. Instead, I drizzled the top with sesame seed oil, providing a lovely flavor that didn’t overpower the rest of the ingredients. The dish turned out to be light and filling in all the right ways, and a great new way to keep egg dishes interesting.

Veggie Love Egg Foo Young Frittata

3 Carrots, coarsely grated
1 Celery rib, coarsely grated or finely chopped
1 White onion, finely chopped
100 g (around 2 c.) Mung bean sprouts*, cleaned and patted dry
1/2 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 tsp. Cracked pepper
1 tbsp. Black sesame seeds
8 Large eggs, lightly beaten (yolks and whites still separated)
Coconut oil, for greasing
Sesame oil, for garnish

Combine the veggies in a mixing bowl and fold in the eggs and spices until evenly distributed.
Place the coconut oil in a large iron skillet pan on medium heat, and then pour the egg mixture and cook until the sides begin to bubble.
Place the dish under the broiler until fully cooked (about five minutes… but watch it closely!).**
Slice into the desired number of servings and garnish with sesame oil.
 Makes 1 frittata, 4 – 8 servings depending on if it is a main dish or an appetizer.

* Can’t find mung bean sprouts? For those who tolerate soy, they can be substituted with soy bean sprouts.
** If you don’t have a broiler, or feel uncomfortable using this method, look to my crustless quiche recipe and follow those instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment