Thursday, June 23, 2011

Prosciutto & Basil Crustless Quiche

I just found out that I would have to provide my own meals throughout my internship at George Mason University with the Benjamin Franklin Summer Institute of South and Central Asia. My job is to watch over the kids after hours, like a camp counselor, and sleep in the commons on campus. I will have a community sitting room to my disposal in a different building (and likely only at certain times of the day), but I’ve never had to deal with something like this. The whole reason I chose off-campus housing was having my own kitchen (that, and it was extremely cheap in comparison with the suites on campus), because the university lacks in allergy-friendly dining and labeling.


So, for the last week of June and the majority of July, I’ll be hanging out with awesome kids from south and central Asia, teaching them the art of conflict resolution, teamwork, and the beauty found in the differences we as individuals (and countries) have. I have a feeling there will be a lack in posting recipes, but you can bet July will focus on how to survive in the dorms gluten-free. I am looking forward to the challenge, but I’m still… uncertain.

How will I deal? The answer is simple: simplicity is key. 

I have a feeling oatmeal smoothies are going to be my go-to breakfasts for a while...

I’m used to making simple and easy meals. It only takes a fresh salad, a bed of rice, and a slab of meat to make my household happy. Simple, right? But it’s going to be a whole new level of “simple” I’ll be attempting. I don’t use the microwave, so I’ll have to use different forms of cooking and preparation.
Here’s what I plan on bringing to survive in the dorms:
  • dorm-sized fridge,
  • rice cooker,
  • coffee maker,
  • cutting board and knife,
  • plate, bowl, and mug,    
  • fork, knife, and spoon
  • Mason jars for storage
  • lunch bag and Bento box
  • dish-washing soap, sponges, and drying towels
Is there anything I’m missing, or things I should put into particular consideration? Any pointers? Advice? Concerns? Anyway, I’ve learned one particular method that’s perfect for college students, beginner and professional cooks alike: one-pot meals.

Prosciutto & Basil Crustless Quiche

6 Large eggs, beaten
8.5 oz So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
2 oz Parmesan, grated
1/2 Red onion, finely diced
1 Tomato, halved and finely sliced
3 Garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 oz Prosciutto, shredded
18 Basil leaves, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs and coconut milk using a hand blender or whisk.
Stir in the Parmesan, salt and pepper, and pour into a greased 9-inch pie pan.
Sprinkle the garlic and onion throughout the filling, “sinking” the prosciutto, tomato slices, and basil leaves just underneath the surface.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the mixture has set.
Serve immediately, garnished with sour cream or salsa.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment