Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Bento Box Snapshot: The Leftovers Stuffed Bell Pepper

You remember when I said I think I finally got the hang of Bento?

Yeah, about that...


Although I believe I am getting better at the nutritional balance aspect for every meal, it still remained on the lighter side. Maybe it had to do with it being the last official week of classes. Maybe I was particularly tired that day. But come 7:10 p.m. Tuesday evening, when my class let out, I was still hungry.

But that’s okay. I didn’t mind eating a bit more. The Old Me would’ve had a slight panic attack at the very idea of eating something after dinner if I dared to still be hungry. The Old Me would’ve counted calories and thought of ways to limit my intake the next day. Granted, I did go to the gym afterward, but that was due to my restless disposition instead of burning off the additional consumed foodage (okay, mostly).

This is a snapshot of what I’ll be having for lunch in a few hours. And I think this one will actually keep me full until dinner with the folks. I wasn’t even thinking about Cinco de Mayo (to me, it's just another day), but the end result turned out being very appropriate and festive. Plus, I got to clean out the fridge.

For today’s lunch:

Stuffed red bell pepper (cut horizontally) with: a halved slice of Fontina cheese layering the bottom, two BBQ patties mashed and mixed with 1/2 cup refried beans and a ring of finely diced red onion in the middle, and two rings of red onion on top. The red bell pepper was first softened using a boil/steam method on the stovetop. When all the ingredients were put together, I put them in a preheated oven at 350ºF for ten minutes.  Then, simply because the oven has a broil option, I broiled them on “high” for another 5 – 10 minutes.

The salad is a looser version of guacamole. It has 1/2 Kirby cucumber, 1 – 2 tbsp. finely diced red onion, 5 small heirloom tomatoes quartered, 1/2 lime, 1/4 avocado, and 1 tbsp. of Trader Joe’s Garlic Chipotle salsa.

I am also starting a new dosage of Armour Thyroid today. It is moving up to 60-60 a day; what that means, I'll let you know later.

No comments:

Post a Comment