Monday, May 9, 2011

Yerba Mate Chai Drop Scones

To all the mothers out there, especially my own:

I didn’t get you a card this year, and I didn’t get you flowers. On Saturday, we got pedicures and talked about life. On Sunday I made you breakfast: freshly brewed cappuccino with a revised version of the Yerba Mate Chai Scones and hardboiled eggs. We went food shopping for the week and talked about work and school. 


No Hallmark card or flower bouquet can ever describe how much you mean to me. Not even this blog post will do you justice.

I honor you every day of the year, and I thank you for all you have done for me.

My mother (known as Mama Dazz on this side of cyber space) has been supportive of everything I’ve set out to do, especially where my health and spirituality is concerned, including Meals with Morri. She has eaten a few of the recipes I’ve posted, and countless others that have yet to be recorded. She provides constructive criticism on what she liked about the meal, and what would make it better. 


I learned from her what it means to keep going, to hold on to the things you believe in, and to let go of the things that hold you back. She encouraged me to pursue a plethora of creative outlets, and I excelled in various forms of writing, drawing, and cooking.

She tells me she’s proud of me every day, and asks me “How did I get so lucky to have a daughter like you?”

She answers my questions with thoughtful and loving answers:
“If you were to describe my cooking style, be it regional or international,” I asked her when I made a particularly unique meal on Thursday, “what would you call it?”

“Metro fusion,” she said, “because your style is influenced by the many dinner tables of the international families you grew up with.”

Mama Dazz is a woman that works hard, loves many, and likes flamingos as much as I like bunnies.

I am so lucky and blessed to have her in my life.

So to all you mothers out there, those who are, those who will be, and those who’ve been, I honor you and wish you well. 


Yerba Mate Chai Drop Scones, (the revised version*) 

*As I mentioned in the previous scone recipes, I was fairly content with the end result, about 80 – 85%. I decided to try Ruhlman’s biscuit ratio, the same one I used with the bisckies, and the outcome was significantly better. I had to make them drop scones like Lauren had done with hers because the dough wasn’t pliable. And because my mother requested it, half were decorated with dried cranberries on top.

There is a slight bitterness at the end because of the quinoa flour, so I recommend substituting it with rice flour or adding an ounce to one of the flours listed. The Yerba Mate was steeped for much longer this time (over 24 hours) and sweetened with agave nectar. Vanilla was added to this recipe and really brought out the other flavors in the scones.

2 oz Tapioca starch
2 oz Amaranth flour
2 oz Millet flour
1 oz Quinoa (or another flour should you wish)
1 oz Coconut flour
1 oz Almond meal
2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Sea salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Egg
1.5 oz Ripened avocado
1.5 oz Coconut oil, room temperature or melted
4 oz Yerba Mate, steeped for 24 hours and sweetened to your preference
2 oz So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
Put the avocado, coconut oil, egg, coconut milk, and Yerba mate into a blender on low until there is an even consistency.
Using a wooden spoon, combine the wet and dry ingredients until the dough forms (It will be fluffy and light.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased), drop the dough into rounds using a 1/3 measuring cup and spoon.
Put dried cranberries or nuts on top (or throughout) and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.

Makes 6 scones.

Happy Belated Mothers Day, Mama Dazz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment