Saturday, September 20, 2014

Creamy Split Pea Soup (Vegan)

When I came back to Malta from my vacation in Rome, my first week back was a rough one. Each visit makes the distance that much harder. Each visit provides another incentive toward closing the distance and finding a sustainable career within a quarter time-frame.

Working full-time and finishing graduate school the first half of my time in Malta was a difficult one. For the first time in my life I struggled to assimilate into the culture, or make friends outside of work. I essentially became a recluse, struggling with living on my own and by myself, being hit hard with various life experiences and triggers, exhausted and emotionally fatigued. 


But it seemed like I came back to a new Malta, and all it took was a vacation and a shift in priorities.

Since returning from break, I strived to take care of myself, and to honor myself in every sense of the word. I focused on honoring what my body needed, especially with meals.

Throughout my time publishing recipes, I’ve internally lamented how I’ve ignored soups and stews, especially blended soups. I always have the tendency to overthink or overdo simple meals, and since my continuing research and activism in sustainability, I'm working to simplify my palate in the sense that every flavor becomes complex and satisfying. 


Creamy Split Pea Soup (Vegan)

250 g Split green peas, soaked overnight in water with apple cider vinegar
1 Celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 Med. Carrot, coarsely chopped
1 Yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 Garlic clove, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp. Olive oil
Water, hot*
1/2 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 tsp. Black pepper
1 Bay leaf

Place the split green peas in a pot and top with water and apple cider vinegar to soak eight hours or overnight.
Drain the water and set the peas aside.
In a medium to large pressure cooker, set the heat to medium-high and drizzle with olive oil.
Sweat the vegetables until translucent, and then add the peas, seasonings, and the 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
Pour the hot water into the pot until it is just covering.
Place the pressure cooker lid as instructed for your model, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook for at least 30 min.
Turn off the heat and let the pressure naturally subside.
Use a stick blender or regular blender** to blend until smooth.
Pour into bowls, and serve hot.

Makes 2 – 4 Servings.

Note: This recipe is perfect for leftovers (just add water!), and super easy to double depending on the amount of servings you want.

*There’s really no measurement for this, as it ultimately depends on how thick or thin you want the consistency to be. After adding the peas to the cooking vegetables, I poured the water (hot, from the electric kettle) until it just covered the peas.
** Be mindful that hot stuff in the blender tends to come up back at you if you aren’t too careful. I’d recommend adding a little at a time to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment