Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why I Blog (about Souffle)

Do you ever wonder what bloggers do aside from blogging? I think about it often. I remember being blown away and instantly awed when I realized Cheryl of Harris Whole Health, a person who I know in the "real world", was also the mastermind behind Gluten Free Goodness. I also find it amazing how I am able to talk to people time zones away and learn about their cultures through the food they eat and the stories they tell. Technology is truly an amazing phenomenon these days.


In reality, bloggers do in fact have lives away from the computer screen. Even with the possibility of money earned from their website and the networking brilliance blogging provides, they go out and do non-blogging things. Some have nine to five jobs, while others are at school full time. Some are raising families, and there are others trying to make sense of their place in the world. We create an identity on the Internet and share things that matter to us. We write about things we are passionate about, and we publish things to see if anyone actually reads our stuff (for giggles mostly).

I’ve written on this blog that I am not perfect, and I do my darnedest to remind people and myself of that. I make mistakes and I can mess up royally (with food or with situations). I don’t have all the answers, and I’m still figuring out what I want to do with my life. What’s more, dear readers, is a statement I thought I would never write: Meals with Morri is not the center of my world.

This is both a joyous and rather sobering thing to say. I love writing on Meals with Morri and coming up with recipes to share with the world. I love getting emails with questions about food and requests to make something gluten free. But there are other things that rank in higher priority than blogging, such as school, work, health, family and friends. And surprisingly enough… I’m okay with that. Blogging isn’t everything, but it’s still a fun way to connect with people.

I mention this because the GFRR didn’t do anything for December (trust me, we tried), which was originally to be posted the first Wednesday in January this year. And when it looked like January (this particular challenge) would follow suit, we adapted and moved it to this week.

Today, actually.

In an effort to make an epic soufflé recipe by the original deadline, I scrambled to get it into the oven right as I was literally walking out the door to do other things. Contrary to popular belief, despite in my frantic state, the soufflé is a lot heartier than stereotypically perceived. As long as you take care to follow the steps and not breathe too loudly (I’m kidding), you will have a puffy, fluffy, delicious soufflé on your plate.

Although I call this recipe the “Pepperoni Pizza Soufflé”, it is simply a cheese soufflé with layers of pepperoni in it. I replaced the cheddar cheese with mozzarella, and added a heaping tablespoon of Italian seasoning to make the flavors pop.

(For some reason, Italy has been on my mind lately…)

Pepperoni Pizza Soufflé  (inspired by this recipe)

240 ml Whole milk
30 g Brown Rice flour
60 g Unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the baking pan
6 Large eggs, separated
175 g Mozzarella, shredded
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
5 tbsp. (60 g) Grated Parmesan cheese
36 slices of pepperoni*
Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste**

Separate the egg yolks from the white, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Pour the milk into a saucepan and warm gently over a low heat, then sift the flour into the milk and mix well.
Cook on a moderate heat until the mixture is thick and there are no lumps.
Remove from the heat and beat in the butter, followed by slowly adding the egg yolks into the batter, followed by the mozzarella and Italian seasoning. (You may need to sporadically put it over a burner on low heat to melt the cheese completely.)
Grease the deep-dish baking pan with softened butter and coat the insides with the grated Parmesan.
Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until you have firm peaks (our immersion hand blender worked beautifully).
Carefully fold the egg whites into the cheese sauce, taking care not to deflate them.
Pour in a third of the mixture into the pan followed by a single layer of 12 pepperoni slices.
Repeat this step two more times and then place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes.
Serve immediately from the oven, taking care to mind the temperature.

Makes 4 – 6 servings.

*If you are not partial to pepperoni, think of adding your favorite pizza toppings instead.
**I didn’t need to use any salt or pepper because the cheese and seasonings made the soufflé extremely flavorful.

TR was our wonderful host for the soufflé challenge, and has a wonderful recipe just in time to impress your S.O. for Valentine’s Day!

TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies    Chocolate Souffle   
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary    Mini Artichoke-Spinach-Parmesan Souffles   
 Pete Bronski | No Gluten, No Problem    Amaretto Souffle
Morri | Meals with Morri    Pepperoni Pizza Souffle  

No comments:

Post a Comment