Monday, October 3, 2011

Embracing October with a Basic Breakfast Bake

It seemed like the spirit of autumn came along just in time for the month of October, and I am instantly reminiscent of Sweden. There is crispness to the chilled air that brings me back to Scandinavia, and my heart aches for a traditional fika and a stroll in the woods surrounding the campus in Växjö. Soon I will have to bundle up and wear acceptable shoes for a day trip to the pumpkin patch in the near future, but for now I’m enjoying the warmth of the house and the cat sitting on my lap.  

The air conditioner is officially off for the next two seasons, and with the awakening of the heating system came dust that once lay dormant in the ducts. To end a perfectly calm first weekend of October was cleaning, dusting (and sneezing), organizing, moving, and cooking. Actually, it was a lot of cooking, and a lot of planning for this month’s cooking endeavors.


Mama Dazz knows the fall season is my favorite season of all, and as a treat won me a collection of some fabulous cookware on eBay. They are copper tinted bowls, pie dishes, and casserole dishes that had been in someone’s attic for decades (never used and with their individual stickers still intact). Soon to come in the next few days are my lemon yellow ramekins in a number of sizes and depths, of which I will celebrate by making baked ziti, shepherd’s pie, various desserts, breakfast bakes, and so much more. It is no coincidence that my bakeware came just in time for canned pumpkin to come to Trader Joe’s. Oh yes, there is going to be many recipes with pumpkin in it over the next two months, with pies, smoothies, breads, pancakes, sauces, breakfast bakes, and… do you hear growling? Either it’s something celebrating Halloween early under the bed or my stomach is getting hungry for pumpkin.

Anyway, I want to introduce to you my first breakfast bake. It’s just the base, but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. The bowls were a tad small to put the batter into one (believe me, I tried), so I ended up with two small bran muffin looking breakfast bakes that were oh-so delicious and filling with a smidgeon of honey on top.


Basic Breakfast Bake

20 g (or 1.5 tbsp.) Kasha
22 g  (or 1.5 tbsp.) CGF steel cut oats
1 tbsp. Chia seeds
1 tbsp. Flaxseed meal
1 tbsp. Unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. Unrefined apple cider vinegar
2 oz Water
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Baking soda
1 egg
10 g Butter

Combine the kasha, oats, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, applesauce, vinegar, and water in a smallish mixing bowl and let it sit covered overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Add in the baking powder, baking soda, and egg into the batter.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan (or microwave if you use it), and let it cool for a minute or so once liquefied.
Empty the melted butter into the bowl and evenly coat the edges of your baking dish, and pour the rest in with the mixture.
Transfer the batter into the dish and bake for thirty minutes or until cooked through.
Serve with honey, your choice of fruits, peanut butter and fruit preserves, or a drizzle of milk on top in a bowl.

Serves 1.

2 comments: