Friday, September 30, 2011

Sweet & Savory Carrot Socca

I have a new favorite food to share with you all and it hails from across the Atlantic. If you haven’t heard of it or made it yet, you better get started. Trust me. It’s amazing. It’s stupendous. It’s grain-free, gluten free and vegan. My friends, you’ve got to try this.


Of course, I’m talking about socca.

The lovely Pure2Raw twins, Lori and Michelle, were the ones who first introduced me to this amazing dish. This dynamic duo has an entire page devoted to their passion for socca, including where their love and addiction started, their trials, and finally, their many delicious recipes where socca takes center stage. Sweet or savory, socca reigns supreme. There is no meal it can’t be a part of, it’s that adaptable and amazing.

All it takes is three ingredients to make this food of the gods. But I must warn you, patience is not optional when cooking it, and you may have to experiment until you find the right cooking method for you.

Yesterday was the first time I made and ate socca. I used Mark Bittman’s ratio 1 part garbanzo bean (or chickpea) flour to 3 parts water. I mixed six tablespoons of olive oil in with about a cup of flour and then added in three cups of water and spices (sea salt, cracked pepper, thyme, oregano, herb de Provence, and powdered rosemary. Sadly, I didn’t read the “heat the pan in the oven before putting in the batter” bit until after it was cooking in the oven. The top was like custard, areas in the middle were mutating and rising, and the sides were browning to a concerning burnt-like degree. I thought it was a flop, since I meddled during the baking process, but after letting it sit on the counter, it was good enough to make me want to try again. Mama Dazz liked the taste, but the boyfriend… not so much.


My second attempt turned out a lot better. Breakfast consisted of silver dollar socca with salt and bourbon vanilla, prepared like a your average pancake. I topped it with raspberry preserves and was quite content with the taste. My only complaint was there wasn't enough of it.


But like I always say, third time’s the charm! And the boyfriend liked it, almost as much as I did. The twins’ Carrot Cake Socca Sandwich was the inspiration for my recipe and flavor combinations, but I definitely plan on making a CCSS on my own one of these days.

For future reference, my ratio is about 1 part garbanzo bean flour to 1.5 parts liquid.

Sweet & Savory Carrot Socca

2.6 oz (1/2 c. plus a scant tablespoon) Garbanzo bean flour
4 oz Carrot Juice
1 tsp. (15 g) Olive oil
1/8 tsp. Sea salt

Mix all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl and let it sit up to an hour on the counter before using.  
Put a griddle or pan on medium heat, add a little oil to coat the base, and pour the batter in the middle like you would a pancake.
Once the bottom has set, place the pan under the broiler to cook the facing side for three to five minutes.
For crispier and charred edges, flip the socca over at least twice at thirty-second intervals.

Serves 1.

*I topped this socca with apricot preserves, ricotta cheese, tahini, and arugula. A marvelous combination of flavors that makes a tasty jamboree.

1 comment: