Friday, September 16, 2011

Nutty Spirulina Overnight Oatmeal

It’s closing in on Saturday, with about half an hour to spare. I’m working on Mama Dazz’s birthday surprise(s). Her birthday is tomorrow, and so I take a moment to catch up on the posts I had been meaning to write. I think I’ve come down with a bit of a sniffle, but I figured I had enough time to do a Bento Box Snapshot from yesterday, and dedicate a moment to the wonders of spirulina.


Oh yes, I have become a huge fan of spirulina. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a food that tasted like its color (except for, well, the orange). In juice I find it tastes less than ideal, but put it in nut butter and it takes center stage on your taste buds. After I moved out of the house, my throat was swollen from the stress and fumes I was exposed to, and I wanted to find something that cleared out my system of toxins. The answer was chlorella and spirulina, though I had to be creative with the latter since it came in a powdered form and not a pill form. 

Like hemp protein powder before it, spirulina is now part of my Granny Smith apple and peanut butter affair. My body seems to crave the stuff daily, likely because it has something it desperately wants. To quote a website completely devoted to this amazing superfood:
“It powerfully protects from oxidant stress and strongly supports the immune system and a healthy inflammatory response.”

With more protein than soy, more Vitamin A than a carrot, and more iron than beef, I have a feeling Superman isn’t the only thing super around here. I’m still working on the kinks to incorporating spirulina to oatmeal (any hot cereal really) and smoothies (something I really should get back in the habit to making), but I offer this recipe to anyone who can make it even more delectable and healthful.

Nutty Spirulina Overnight Oatmeal

1.4 oz CGF Rolled oats
1 tbsp. Flaxseed meal
1 tbsp. Chia seeds
1 tsp. Unrefined apple cider vinegar
14 oz Filtered water
4 oz Almond milk (or any milk of your preference)
1 tbsp. Peanut butter
1 tsp. Spirulina

1 packet of Trader Joe’s Apple Carrot fruit sauce crushers (or up to 3.5 oz of any pureed fresh fruit of your choosing)

Combine the rolled oats, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, cider, and water in a Mason jar or sauce pan with a lid to sit on the counter overnight (or up to eight hours).
Pour the contents of the jar in the saucepan and add the almond milk to the mixture.
Cook over the stove on medium-low heat until the liquid has just about evaporated but still remains runny.
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine the spirulina and peanut butter and set aside until the very last minute of cooking.
When the oatmeal is done, add in the spirulina-peanut butter concoction and still until integrated.
Pour into a bowl or large mug and top with the fruit puree (which could also be added during the cooking process).

Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment