Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Bento Box Snapshot: Broiled Plantains, Stew, Quinoa n' Beans

This particular BBS was a complete success! I felt a lot fuller and wasn’t ravenous at the end of the day. This was especially important since Thursday was a big day for me: a three-hour class, about an hour at the gym, and preparing for the CARmunity informational later in the evening. 


It was around the time I left home for the meeting on campus that the weather went from summer to autumn, with me dressed in my favorite olive green jacket (very light and extremely worn) with a pair of jeans and black ballet flats. Not very smart for a person who tends to get sniffly at any sign of a cold front, I know, and I have a feeling Rooibos Chai Lattes will be my official drink of the season.

Dr. Scambledstein's Monster: It's boiled... BOILED!!!

So what did I have that kept a grumbly tummy at bay? For lunch I had a hard-boiled egg (that cracked during the boiling process), a rice cracker sandwich with chèvre (goat cheese) and slices of cucumber and tomato, a Granny Smith apple with spirulina-peanut butter spread, and canned salmon.


For dinner, I went to the salad jar (pun intended), filled with peppers, tomatoes, avocado, carrots, and cucumber, marinated with coconut aminos, lime juice, and salt. In the Bento box itself were baked plantains (broiled for a minute or so on each side for that caramelized burnt crunch), leftover beef and butternut stew, quinoa, and kidney beans, garnished with black and white sesame seeds for texture and giggles.


No comments:

Post a Comment