Friday, July 22, 2011

Time Well Spent: Overnight Dorm Oatmeal & Morning Millet

It’s not that I haven’t had anything to write about or eating anything blog worthy. The last three weekends should have been posted with a plethora of photos and stories to delight and intrigue my wonderful audience. I went to D.C. on multiple occasions, the first time for the fireworks on July 4th and the second time with the kids who did not have a host family for the week to see the Dalai Lama. I spent a wonderful Saturday working with bees and chewing on freshly harvested honeycomb. And just two days ago – or rather, yesterday at a ridiculous hour – I came home from the Institute’s trip to Philadelphia and New York City. 


I feel so far behind. I feel like I’ve let people down. I feel like I’ve grown so much in so many ways, and I don’t know where to start.

(Well duh, Morri, from the beginning of course.)

In the meantime, I think not one but two recipes are in order. And wouldn’t you know it… both are breakfast worthy and, oddly enough, vegan.

Soaking grains, even for a few hours, is an awesome way to enhance the nutritional value of a meal. Lacto-fermenting them overnight – with either a teaspoon of whey, lemon juice or unrefined apple cider vinegar – makes rolled oats and millet (even already cooked rice) taste even better than simply putting it on the stovetop and cooking it. Ever since I made my oatmeal smoothie recipe in June, I don’t do it any other way. Try it and see for yourself. You won’t regret it.

Overnight Dorm Oatmeal (Rice Cooker edition)

1/2 c. CGF Rolled oats
1 1/2 – 2 c. Filtered water
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Chia seeds (and more for garnish)
1 tbsp. Flaxseed meal
1 tsp. Unrefined apple cider vinegar
1 Apple Carrot fruit sauce crusher pouch from Trader Joe’s (or 3 oz fruit puree of your choosing)
1 spoonful Peanut butter

In a jar or mug, combine the oats, salt, chia seed, flaxseed meal, and vinegar with the water to sit overnight on the counter.
The next morning, pour the contents of the jar into your rice cooker and set it on “steam cook” or “quick rice” mode (If you do not have a rice cooker, simply cook in a saucepan on the stove).
After the oats are done, put them in your favorite bowl and top it with the fruit puree.
Garnish with the peanut butter and an additional sprinkle of chia seeds.

Serves 1.


Morning Millet (Rice Cooker edition)

1/4 c. Millet, hulled (with 1 - 1.5 c. filtered water)
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Chia seeds
1 tbsp. Flaxseed meal
1/4 tsp. Tea Masala spices*
1 tsp. Unrefined apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. Filtered water (for soaking, and an additional 1/2 – 1 c. for cooking)
1/2 Banana, sliced
1 tbsp. Peanut butter

(See the previous recipe for preparation instructions.)

Garnish with the peanut butter and banana slices.

Serves 1.

*Tea Masala: black pepper, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment