Thursday, April 21, 2011

The "Not Really a Breakfast Bake" Rice Bowl

Ah, the joys of being a morning person. I simply love waking up to the soft morning light gently warming my face, the memory of the wonderful dream I was having still fresh in my mind, my tummy grumbling for attention similarly the way my cats sit on my chest and paw at my nose to be fed and let outside.

It’s a wonderful feeling.

I think my favorite time of day is around 8:45 in the morning. Rain or shine, Spring or Winter, there is something about the morning I adore. I tend to wake up before my alarm goes off on most days, then I plop on my flesh-eating bunny slippers, head downstairs and think about what my body wants for breakfast.

But first, coffee…

I have what my parents call "the smooshy face" in the morning, my eyes slightly closed, my body relaxed. My morning routine is calm and unhurried, something I need this early in the day. I use these quiet hours to prepare myself for the hustle and bustle of my day to day life, and tend to get over-stimulated when my routine is disrupted with noise and vivacity.

For your safety and overall well-being, let me have those precious hours of tranquility. It is likely that I will decide to eat you. So tread lightly, for here, there be Morri’s.

(I am actually a lot brighter and more accepting to liveliness in the mornings on most days, but sometimes, when I’ve had a late night, I prefer stillness and quiet.)

I say this because the morning is my downtime for the fun adventures ahead. But for the last few days, I’ve had to cut my morning routine short, getting up especially early in the mornings, and going off to do things I needed to do before noon. This morning was the first in almost a week that I could sleep in an hour more, take it slow, and have the time to try out something new for breakfast.

Ashley from The Edible Perspective has been mentioned on my blog before. Her breakfast bakes have been very appealing to me as of late, and her quirky can-do personality is catching and a delight. The only downside was I don’t have the some of the ingredients on hand to try out some of the recipes she’s posted (yet). Also, my tummy was acting a little off, and I was curious as to whether or not it have to do with the rolled oats I had been eating every morning for the past few days. I decided to give my body a rest and try out something new. 


After my last attempt on a breakfast bake using oatmeal, I thought of using some of the sweet brown rice I had on hand and incorporating part of Ashley’s breakfast bake ingredients to keep it together.

The result was similar to the last time I tried making a breakfast bake. There was a nice crust on top but remained soft and unstable on the bottom. I think it had more to do with using such a small pan to cook it in, instead of the ingredients and the amount of the ingredients used. Next time, I’m using a bigger pan and will post the outcome.

It may have not been what I was expecting, but it was very delicious and extremely satisfying. The egg white made the baked porridge creamy and rich, with a soufflĂ©-like taste and texture. I didn’t use any type of sweetener except a spoonful of fruit preserves on top.

Before I knew it, right when I was digging in for another bite, I had gobbled it all. 

Next time, it will be the breakfast bake similar to the ones found on Ashley’s blog. But for now, it was just the change of pace my stomach was looking for.


The "Not Really a Breakfast Bake" Rice Bowl

3/4 c. Cooked sweet brown rice
1 tbsp. Amaranth flour
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1 Egg white
4 tbsp. So Delicious Unsweetened coconut milk (or whatever milk you have on hand)
1 tsp. Chia seeds
1/8 tsp. Sea salt
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Shimmy of nutmeg
1 tbsp. Maple syrup (optional)
1 Slab of butter (to put on top for baking)

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the butter and mix until the batter is consistent (you may have to break apart the rice with a spoon).
Pour into a small pan (or a larger one, so it becomes a sturdy breakfast bake), lay the butter on top, and place it into the oven anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
The recipe will rise much like a soufflé and gently fall.
Put the porridge into a bowl, with your choice of sweetener and garnish on top.

Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment