Saturday, April 23, 2011

Forbidden Coconut Macaroon Breakfast Bake

Despite finding this morning’s weather to be similar to yesterday’s, the offness I felt has disappeared and only happy thoughts are left. Saturday mornings are the best, even when you get up earlier than you expected. The coffee tastes better, the breakfast isn’t rushed… and the cartoons are funnier.



Yes, I am aware that I’m a senior in college and still watch cartoons. But there’s nothing quite like sipping coffee while laughing to reruns of the “Rugrats” or “Phineas and Ferb”, though “Ed, Edd, n Eddy” still has a special place in my heart.

And then there’s “Chowder”, where food and cartoon magic combine.

(source)

Chowder”, created by C.H. Greenblatt, only recently became a personal favorite. In the mystical city of Marzipan, Chowder, a young cat-bear-rabbit creature boy becomes an apprentice to a chef named Mung Daal, who owns a catering company. Truly a magical place where the creatures are named after food, the ingredients are weird and extraordinary, and the recipes are as imaginary as they are creative. This show, although very much a vivid and colorful surrealistic interpretation of cooking, is exactly the kind of reality people should have when making a meal. There is an attention to detail, to the senses (good and bad), to color and texture. These are things I believe people view to be out of reach nowadays.

But there is a select few that know better, that turn the eating experience from something fictional to something tangible. With cooking, nothing is impossible unless you think it is.

If you can imagine it, you can make it. It’s as simple as that. (In fact, that gives me an idea...)

This rainy morning made the outside vivid in green and other earthy colors, the birds chirping, the boyfriend sleeping, and the cats demanding “out”. I decided to put my imagination to the test and finally make that breakfast bake, and make it right this time. As I added the ingredients I thought of how I wanted it to look, how I wanted it to taste, how I wanted the texture, how I wanted the color.

After three (or four) attempts, I believe it is finally Edible Perspective (and “Chowder”) worthy.

Ashley, I hope you like it.


Forbidden Coconut Macaroon Breakfast Bake

1/2 c. Forbidden rice (a.k.a. Glutinous Black or Purple rice)
1 tbsp. Coconut flour
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/8 tsp. Sea salt
1 tbsp. Chia seeds
1 tbsp. Shredded coconut
4 tbsp. So Delicious coconut milk
1/4 tsp. Vanilla
1 Egg
Cinnamon and nutmeg (to taste)

Preheat the oven to 350°F
In a mixing bowl, add the ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
Pour the mixture into a greased skillet, the smallest one you have.
Place the skillet into the oven for thirty minutes or until set.
Once done, use a spatula to get under the breakfast bake and place it on your plate.
Garnish with whatever catches your fancy. (I sprinkled a little coconut milk and added a dollop of peanut butter for mine.)

Serves one. 

1 comment: