Thursday, April 14, 2011

Breakfast Rice Pudding (Vegan)

There are mornings where what I am craving isn’t a particularly glamorous breakfast. In fact, sometimes it looks like some lumpy gruel with a dash of cinnamon on top for added gusto that Oliver Twist wanted more of. Whatever it may be lacking in looks, it most certainly makes up with its personality and taste.


I’ve been going through a hot cereal rut lately. In an effort to make my breakfasts more nutritionally balanced I do my best to incorporate healthy fats, fiber, protein, and something raw and/or green. For the last few days it has been buckwheat groats with finely chopped Granny Smith apple chunks, peanut butter, and chia seeds or gluten free rolled oats with finely chopped Granny Smith apple chunks, peanut butter, and chia seeds or whole grain teff with finely chopped Granny Smith apple chunks, peanut butter, and chia seeds.

It isn't just me, right? There is a pattern happening here? Oh, good.

It is no secret, friends; a Granny Smith apple with a dollop of nut butter is my go-to snack. I eat both foods every day, usually together but sometimes separately. For quite a while the combination has played a significant role in every breakfast. It’s my ultimate comfort food, and with hot cereal it’s like I’m eating a very moist and loose version of the apple crisp.

This morning, since there is a lot to do today (such as George Mason’s Second Annual Spring Conference for the Undergraduate Program in ICAR), I wanted a breakfast that kept the inner gears working. But at the same time, I wanted something different. This breakfast was solely made for comfort, for energy to last me for most of the morning, and a wonderful excuse to use my bunny spoon (Now all I need is purple dishware).


As my gluten free stash from Bob’s Red Mill I had gotten earlier this year is steadily diminishing, and I had two containers of cooked short grain brown rice in the fridge, I was inspired to make a breakfast rice pudding of sorts. Once I restock up on some essential whole grains (I’ve yet to try amaranth and millet), I want to start making breakfast bakes of all kinds similar to the ones found at the Edible Perspective. I have to say, Ashley is a total doll; quirky, adorable, and is quick to reply to any question you may have. Her blog is filled with stunning photos and recipes, an assortment of whole grain hot cereals, breakfast bakes, salads, and nut butters. Once school is out for the semester, I am definitely going to be making nut butters from scratch... a lot. Mama Dazz's food processor is going to go from gathering dust to being used on a weekly (if not daily) basis so quickly I'm not sure it's little engine will survive the shock. I am so excited!

Now, I want to hear from you. What’s your favorite hot cereal and nut butter recipes? What combinations do you love but others find... well, unique?


Breakfast Rice Pudding (Vegan)


1 c. Cooked rice (I used short grain sweet brown rice)
1/2 c. So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
1/8 tsp. Sea salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 – 2 tsp. Peanut Butter
2 tsp. Chia seeds
1/2 Ripened banana, mashed

Put the cooked rice, coconut milk, salt, hemp protein powder, and cinnamon in a saucepan on medium heat.
When the mixture is heated up slightly, break apart the rice into chunks and mix the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
Lower the heat slightly and add the chia seeds and let sit until they have gelatinized.
Add the peanut butter and banana into the mixture (or put them on top of the rice pudding as garnish).
Pore into your favorite mug or bowl and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny!! Right before clicking to your blog, I just sent you a link to a recipe of mine for rice pudding. So good!! Thanks for the super sweet shout out. It really means a lot. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Yum. Where did you get your bunny spoon? I received on like it years ago as a gift, ate my porridge
    always with it, and today I dropped and broke it! I've scoured the internet. Cannot find it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I originally bought the spoon at Sur la Table, an online store. I just checked and couldn't find them in stock, so it may be a discontinued item. I brought at least four of them, because of how delicate they were.

      If you do find one, please send me a link!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the spoon info. I'll let you know if I find them!

    ReplyDelete