Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Monkeying around with Macaroons

Before fermenting, culturing, and sprouting became common phenomena on Meals with Morri, I thought I’d give you a fun recipe that is easy to make and popular at any get-together: macaroons. Simply put, macaroons that a wide spectrum of people can enjoy.*


The macaroon is that type of confection that I have to be creative with, or use other sources as a starting point and go from there. It sometimes is made with flour, and it usually has cane sugar, both of which (if you know me by now) my body is not a fan of. So then I look out into the unknown of cyber space, and used the Google search engine with terms like “GAPS macaroons” and “Paleo macaroons”. And I kind of find what I’m looking for… but not really. I did see that plenty of people made my kind of macaroon, but I didn’t want to use a liquid, dairy free or otherwise, and I didn’t want to open a can of coconut milk just for a few tablespoons of the “cream”.

There was, however, a lone banana on the countertop, softening and browning to the point that all you can do with it is bake it in the oven, wanting to be used in a creative and loving way. I was struck with an idea, and it was a huge hit among the family. So it is with great pleasure that I give you The Monkey Mac, the dairy free, grain free, and above all healthy indulgence you’ve always wanted.  

Monkey Mac(aroon)s

300 g Raw dehydrated coconut flakes
84 g Honey
1 Ripe banana
30 ml Coconut oil
2 Large eggs
Pinch of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Combine 200 g of the coconut flakes with the other ingredients in the food processor until a loose ball can form in your fingers (not exactly thoroughly combined but not too separate either).
Pulse in the remaining coconut a few times, and then scoop out the mixture one heaping tablespoon at a time onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden brown in some places.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Makes 24 macaroons.

* Herbivores, I'm in the process of making something just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment