Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Candida-Hypothyroid Relationship: Do I Have a Yeast Sensitivity?

When you or someone you love has hypothyroidism, it really is a trial and error sort of condition, and it can be a bit confusing/irritating (or, you know, a lot). You need to figure out what foods you should or shouldn’t eat. You need to understand the limitations of what your body can do in regards to exercise and find ways to work around it. You need to learn, over a period of time that can last for months or even years, the dosage of medication that helps the thyroid function normally. You need to understand what you’re body is telling you in the most subtle of things, such as how you are feeling, what you are experiencing, and why certain things affect you at that moment.

The positive side of having to be so perceptive to your body is the ability to detect patterns and sensitivities you have. One example is the reason I wake up so early in the mornings isn’t that I’m hungry; rather, I’m thirsty and overheated. I learned this lesson at 2:30 this morning and am fairly certain it will sort itself out if I have a huger glass of water next to my bed (and remain hydrated throughout the day). But I’m referring to something that has been consistent since I posted this recipe. That is, my reaction to yeast in food.

(source)

In my ignorance I mentioned after getting glutened the possibility of having a candida overgrowth, without the tests to back it up. However, I found this article written by Dr. Michael McNett about the correlation between candida and the thyroid. The bullet point that stuck out at me was the following:
There has been a higher incidence of candida sensitivity in Dr. McNett’s fibromyalgia/hypothyroid patients.

I’ve researched the symptoms of candida (yeast) sensitivity and overgrowth, and from what I found didn’t really apply to me. But in my personal experience with eating yeast (both in food and in drink), it was never very positive. When I bread the first time, I thought it was because of the length of fermentation that made me feel “intoxicated”, craving sugars and bread, bloated, constipated, terrible stomach cramps and bubbles, etc. Upon further yeast bread making attempts, however, it was the same thing. As with drinking wine or cider, it doesn’t take much for me to feel the affects (less than 60 ml is a typical glass for me… and I rarely drink). This could be because I exercise a lot or, the most likely, I’m not big on drinking. But from what I can see, there is a link between yeast sensitivity and hypothyroidism. The weirdest part is when I don't eat yeast-based foods like bread, I don't crave it at all. But when I do, I am compelled to eat slice after slice after slice.

I’m sure the GFRR can forgive me for removing yeast from the bread equation for this month's challenge, but I’m fairly convinced yeast and I have a like-dislike sort of relationship going on at the moment.

Does this mean I’m going to go on the Candida Diet? I’ve raised this question before, and I think the answer is the same. At the moment, until I feel compelled to get tested for candida overgrowth/sensitivity, I’m simply going to continue observing my reactions my body provides.

Articles on yeast sensitivity:

"Yeast Sensitivities" by Dr. Suzann Wang (2007), Green Health Spot (image also used)
"Estrogen Dominance and Hormone Imbalance" by yeastinfectionadvisor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment