Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Going [Pea]Nuts for Bread

Bread is something of a rarity for me. I think it has more to do with the perceived obligation of eating it for days after baking it. Gluten free bread can, if made a certain way, i.e., incorrectly, go from a warm slice to pair with chili to a crusty brick in a matter of twenty-four hours or less. That happens less frequently now, what with my love of experimenting with ingredients. I’ve been working with different flours, learning about their individual flavors and textures, incorporating different liquids, leaveners, binders, fruits, vegetables, fats, etc. 

From my persistence for a perfect slice, I’ve made skillet cornbread and apple teff bread, both using applesauce for moisture. In many other cases, egg and flaxseed meal have acted as binders so it doesn’t crumble apart in your hand.

The one I'm going to talk about didn't crumble, mumble, or bumble. And I want to share its awesomeness with you.


I don’t really make bread often, maybe once a month at most. I like to keep it “whole grain”, or not using starches when I can. But when I find a new innovative way to making bread, I like to try it and see what I think.

There has been uproar (the good kind) far and wide on the creation of Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread. Lisa of the 24/7 Low Carb Diner made it for her son who was eating the GAPS diet. Even those who eat a low carb diet miss the taste of a good sandwich, particularly the bread part that makes a sandwich... well, a sandwich. A brilliant way of making bread is using finely ground nuts/seeds or nut/seed butter.



Who would have thought peanut butter made sandwich bread that sliced easily and tasted so darn good! The result was a springy and sturdy loaf, still soft after refrigeration, and delicious as is for as an alternative for breakfasts with a smear of fruit preservatives or cream cheese.

To take it one step further, I added poppy seeds for my own personal spin on the recipe. And when I perfect making my own nut/seed butters, I’m going to try making this bread with almond, cashew, pistachio, walnut, pecan, sunflower seed, pepitas, and flaxseed. Maybe an additional flavor or two…

Peanut Butter Poppy Sandwich Bread

256 g Smooth peanut butter*, organic and lightly salted preferred
3 Eggs
1 tbsp. Unrefined apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/4 tsp. Sea salt (or more if the peanut butter is unsalted)
20 g Poppy seeds
Stevia or honey, to taste (optional)
Coconut oil, for greasing the loaf pan

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Grease the loaf pan with coconut oil at room temperature or cooking spray and set aside.
Blend the peanut butter, eggs, and vinegar with an electric beater on medium speed until smooth.
Stir in the remaining ingredients thoroughly, especially in regards to integrating the poppy seeds.
Pour into the greased loaf pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
When done, carefully remove from the loaf pan onto a cooling rack.
After a few minutes, it can be sliced and served.

Makes 1 loaf, 16 slices. Refrigerates beautifully.

*Allergic to peanuts? If you can tolerate almonds, Lisa recently made her Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread with almond butter just as successfully. And if you made it with the other nuts and seeds I've listed above, I'd love to hear how it went.

2 comments:

  1. just peanut butter, eggs and no GF four at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is correct. No flour of any kind is necessary.

      Delete