Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ginger Lemon Tea

It has come to my attention that I have to rethink my life a little bit. My last semester as an undergraduate is less than 1.5 months away from ending, and my schoolwork just sits there, mocking me with its incompleteness. I have been going to class, and it’s not like I don’t have time to do it all, but when I actually get around to reading the books and doing the assignments... let’s just say trying to stay awake is hard enough.

Does this mean I’m lazy? Does this mean I don’t care about my academic career? I don’t think so. I love George Mason University, and I love my major. Without it I don’t think I would have realized my love for food and the magic of bringing people together. In fact, my final project in my Integration class is all about the crime of hunger, and why food from restaurants and supermarkets in the United States are thrown away and not donated to people in need. But even then, as I try to bring it to focus, it remains slightly blurred around the edges.

As you may know, I’ve been sick since last Thursday. With a sore throat, losing my voice every other day, an achy body that especially hurts when touched, and a strange fatigue even after taking naps in the mornings and afternoons, getting glutened didn’t help very much. My immune system was totally compromised. As a result, my stomach was unable to digest the last of the congee without cramping and bloating. Even rice crackers have become a no-no. All that good gut bacteria had been killed off because of the whole flu-gluten thing. As of this morning (i.e. Saturday), the congestion is finally breaking apart and I’m not coughing up what feels to be my good lung. Hopefully by Monday I can resume my running.

I mentioned my undergraduate career is almost up, but I have yet to mention my birthday. The big 2-2 on Wednesday the 16th. Did anyone else have a mid-mid-mid life crisis in their early twenties or before graduation? Despite all of the things I do, I just feel I’m not doing enough or not doing it well enough. I’ve been considering my restaurant idea that has evolved into a cafĂ© that has evolved into healing resort type thing. I’ve also fretted where I’ll be working to make this dream a reality. But I have to consider the people I love (namely the boyfriend) into my life plans. Life isn’t all about Morri’s, you know.

Life doesn’t start after graduation, and I have to continue to believe in the process and believe this is the path I’m, err, we are meant to take. Everything happens for a reason. And yes, that does include getting sick and getting glutened. Luckily, because of feeling meh, I came up with a delicious tea recipe. When you lose you voice and your tummy is queasy, ginger, lemon, and mint have great healing properties. 

Ginger Lemon Tea

1.5 oz (or more) Fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into big piece
1 Lemon, juiced
32 oz Filtered water
1 pinch Sea salt
1 Mint sprig (with at least 10 leaves), left whole
Honey (or maple syrup), to taste

Bring the water to a boil and steep all the ingredients (sans the honey) on medium-low heat up to an hour.
Turn off the heat and let sit for another hour.
After the water has taking on a light golden color, bring to medium heat until hot.
Pour into up to four teacups and add the amount of sweetener to your preference.

Serves 2 – 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment