Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Socca Donuts

Sometimes you find foods that were meant to be together, foods that have a compatible relationship in the mixing bowl, in the oven, and most importantly, in your body. Eggs and socca have that kind of bond, for two very different recipes.


When I prepared socca with an egg for the first time, the taste and texture was a cross between a crepe and a tortilla. It had those beautiful air pockets much like a tortilla has, and if it been kept under the broil a little longer it would have been perfect for a quesadilla lunch.

All you need is a single serving socca recipe and one large egg mixed in the batter. 


Now, in my search for socca inspiration, I was thinking about using my donut pan for my socca addiction. This is where the socca and the egg marry once again into a beautiful outcome. The first time I made them, they were airy and savory. The second time I made them, they were moist and sweet. Next time I will add the teaspoon of maple sugar to the airy and savory recipe and see how it goes without half an ounce of unsweetened applesauce.

Socca Donuts

2.1 oz Garbanzo bean flour
3.25 oz Water
1 tsp. Olive oil
1/4 tsp. Sea salt
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350ºF and place the greased donut pan in the center.
Mix together the ingredients (sans the baking powder and baking soda) and let it sit on the counter for half an hour.
Take the donut pan out of the oven, add in the baking powder and baking soda, and pour the batter in the molds (I was able to make four).
Bake for thirty minutes until done.
Top with your choice of savory spreads, like peanut butter, cream cheese, hummus, etc.

Makes 4 donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment