Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Bento Box Snapshot: Sweet Pumpkin Chili & Pumpkin Basil Pesto Risotto

It’s about time I incorporated my love and borderline addiction for pumpkin into a Bento Box Snapshot! So here it is in all of its orange glory, and used in creative ways if I don’t say so myself.


The wonders of pumpkin will be explained another day, but I will say that it is an amazing vegetable. Perfect for any dish, sweet or savory, day or night, I am more than content to simply eat pumpkin puree from the can, season it with cinnamon, and eat it with my bunny spoon.

In all of its gloriousness, my BBS consists of a jar of chili with Penzey’s Chili 3000 spice mix and unsweetened cocoa powder with a heaping spoonful of pumpkin mixed in and topped with red onion. In the bento box itself is a salad with Thai basil, radish, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, salt and pepper, sesame seeds and unrefined apple cider vinegar as well as a pumpkin basil pesto risotto (that I want to make again as a post) made with pumpkin puree, basil pesto, cooked brown rice, and raw pepitas plus a Thai basil leaf as garnish.


October is definitely going to be a pumpkin-oriented month for "Meals With Morri" (and traditional Halloween foods from all over the world), so I apologize in advance. But I do want to know… what innovative ways you use pumpkin and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment