Saturday, September 24, 2011

Grain-Free Buttermilk Pancakes

Lately I’ve been in a food rut, with the same dinners (stews, one-pan wonders, and lots of rice), lunches (rice cracker sandwiches and hard-boiled eggs), and *sigh* breakfasts. Most of my breakfasts are a hot porridge of some sort, though I have been mixing in various grains for a new experience each morning. Kasha and gluten-free steel cut oats is quite a yummy pairing in that aspect, but I wanted something different for my Saturday breakfast. I didn’t want another tasty mess in a mug with pureed banana or chopped apple with a dollop of creamy nut butter mixed in. After my week of sleeping and sneezing and not doing much of anything, I definitely needed to liven my palate up a notch.

Thus, I made pancakes, but they're extremely different than the ones I made for my first post. These pancakes are special, but for very peculiar reasons.

I’m not fond of non-stick cookware, but I have used them for finicky recipes, especially for my various pancake and crepe creations. I used them because they were in the townhouse on campus, and because I was afraid what would happen should I use my stainless steel pans incorrectly. And yes, apparently they can be used incorrectly, but that was before I came across this bangin' tutorial on pan-frying using an s.s.p. I used to simply put the oil or butter in the pan and then turn on the heat. That is one of the crucial mistakes I made that resulted in my food sticking to the bottom, which tore apart meats and browned many an egg, and probably the main reason why I was so timid to making pancakes or omelets before.

So I made pancakes today, this time on a cast iron griddle pan, and I followed the tutorial’s step regarding the butter’s “smoking point”. It made all the difference, my friends, and I suggest you experiment using this particular cooking technique if you don’t do so already. The recipe is for one, but it can easily be multiplied to serve whatever number of loved ones are sitting at your breakfast table. 

Grain-free Buttermilk Pancakes

1 oz Buckwheat flour
0.5 oz Coconut flour
0.5 oz Almond meal
3 oz Buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp. Baking soda
1 Egg
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. Bourbon vanilla
0.5 oz Unsweetened applesauce
Butter, for greasing the pan and topping

Mix all the ingredients (except for the butter) in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined, and let it sit covered with aluminum foil or saran wrap overnight.
Put your skillet or griddle pan on medium heat, grease with your preference of a fat (I used butter but bacon fat is said to work wonders), and pour in the batter like you would normally do when making pancakes.

Makes 2 – 3 pancakes (depending on size). Serves 1.

These pancakes will rise beautifully and keep their height as you eat them. They went deliciously with the pear.


Sautéed Cinnamon Pears

4 g Butter
1 Bartlett pear, cut into small chunks
1/4 tsp. Bourbon vanilla
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan on medium-high heat and proceed to cook until the pear chunks are soft but still have their shape.
This can also be made a little saucier with cream or a citrus-based juice.

Makes about 1 cup for a single serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment