Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Mediterranean Table: Tzatziki

It’s no secret: I love Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food. The only thing I love more than eating it is making it. I love the spices, the aromas, the textures, the colors, the different ways foods are prepared… Oh! I could go on and on. 


My father was born in Morocco on a U.S. Air Base, and maybe the idea that he was there for the first few years of his life had initially sparked my interest of the food around that area. While abroad I made friends with a lovely French-born Moroccan gentleman, who told hilarious stories and made a tagine (without the tagine) dinner I’ll never forget. I love how the majority of that region’s cuisine is naturally gluten free, or easily adapted to whatever your dietary restrictions are.


Tzatziki

8 oz Seedless cucumber, grated
16 oz Greek yogurt
15 Mint leaves, or 2 tsp. when put through the food processor
1/2 Medium white onion, finely chopped

Add the grated veggies and mint into a medium-sized bowl, stirring until completely mixed.
Fold in the yogurt with the vegetables.
Put in the fridge to chill up to an hour or overnight.

Serve as a garnish, a small salad, or a condiment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment