Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Weekend and Chai Oatmeal Apple Crisp

 I love my weekend visits home. For two awesome days I get to make meals for the parental units, have a chance to relax and catch up on reading and sleep, be part of the cats’ shenanigans, and simply be at peace with life.  


Typically I am the first person to wake up in the mornings, and Saturday was no different. It was very soothing to listen to the rain tap on the window in the kitchen as I made coffee, thinking of Ashley from The Edible Perspective and her breakfast bake. I ended up with an oatmeal crisp of sorts, though not necessarily what I was aiming for; but still, practice makes perfect, and it was delicious. 

As for today, since we have a house full of guests and extended family members, I will be making biscuits. Wish me luck!


 
Chai Oatmeal Apple Crisp

1 c. Leftover Rooibos red chai tea
1/2 c. Gluten free rolled oats
1 tbsp. Chia seeds
Slab of butter
Salt, to taste
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350°
In a small saucepan, combine the tea, oats, butter, salt, and cinnamon on medium heat.
Finely chop up the Granny Smith apple and set aside.
Once the oats has been at a boil for a few minutes, add the chia seeds and whisk until it is evenly distributed.
After ten minutes or until the oats are almost done, turn off the heat and add in the apples bits.
Stir a few times or until the pieces are thoroughly covered, and place the saucepan (or another oven-safe dish) into the oven for 40 minutes.
  
The result is a crispy layer, soft melt-in-your-mouth apple chunks, and a rich, scrumptious experience in every spoonful. Drizzle on your favorites: honey, maple syrup, jam. For this recipe I mixed a tablespoon of peanut butter with two tablespoons of So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk.

Serves 1. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment